About Me

My name is Mark and I am 21. I like all subjects and learning in general. If I could live forever, I would spend my time learning everything. With that being said, I am mortal (unfortunately) so with the finite time I have, government is lower on my list of things to master. I am very open-minded so I have difficulty forming strong opinions towards any subject matter because I agree with valid points from both sides. I am very extroverted, social, and I love meeting new people so come talk to me. My political ideology was "Post-Modern" although I agree with Meagen, Jennifer, and a few other classmates about questioning the reliability and validity of the test. I would like to be more politically active but like I've said before, not enough time. Being completely honest, I am only taking this class because it is required. That doesn't mean Im not interested nor do I feel its not important, but if it was not required I would spend the time in more science classes. I hope to learn everything I can learn in this class. I did awful on both quizzes in class but I think my educated guesses were pretty good... Entertaining to say the least.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Where is my plastic bag? Probably in landfills or oceans



The Texas Government blog Texas The Lone Star State has an entry titled “Where is my plastic bag?” in which the author, Mildred, opposed the Austin plastic bag ban. Mildred supports her claim with these points, people not from Austin are not used to paying for bags, plastic bags are not a major problem for the environment, the increase of shoplifting, and the use of plastic bags other than for shopping. I disagree with Mildred and here is my counter argument. 

As an individual who has experienced pre and post plastic bag ban, I can relate to those who are experiencing it for the first time. Paying for reusable bags and having to bring them every time I go grocery shopping is troublesome and inconvenient. However, if major environmental benefits is a result, I am willing to endure a minor inconvenience. This issue is completely subjective due to personal environmental standpoints. 

Mildred’s argument, “the bag is not the major big problem for the environment” has no supporting evidence. Plastic bags take hundreds of years to degrade and fill up landfill sites and oceans. Plastic litter can also lead to clogged drains, which result in sanitation, flooding and sewage problems. Plastic bags cause the death of many marine animals every year through ingestion. The incineration of plastic bags pollutes the air and releases toxic substances which contaminate soil and waterways. Plastic bags are also responsible for using up oil, a scarce natural resource.

There is no doubt that plastic bag usage can be environmentally very damaging. These concerns have caused governments around the world to introduce legislation to limit the use of plastic bags. They have used a variety of regulatory instruments for this purpose. However, complete bans have yielded mixed results creating a controversy. Some argue the ineffectiveness due to consumers continuing to use plastic bags in blatant violation of existing rules. Another major argument against plastic bag bans is that a ban shifts production to paper bags and compostable bags, both of which have heavy environmental consequences.

Mildred uses her experiences working in retail to support her claim on an increase in shoplifting due to the plastic bag ban. However, shoplifting is an age-old issue and no evidence of an increase since the plastic bag ban have been discovered. 

As for plastic bags used for situations other than shopping, I believe it is indirectly related to the ban. You can still purchase plastic bags for other usages such as trash bags. The purpose of the plastic bag ban is to reduce plastic bags by eliminating free distribution of them in stores, not to eliminate them all together. In my personal experience, I still use plastic bags which I must now purchase but because I no longer get a near infinite amount every time I go to the grocery store, I have notice a reduction in plastic bag consumption in my house. 

We have grown so accustomed to the convenience of plastic bags, it was difficult to see impact they have to our environment. I support the plastic bag ban because although it is not perfect, I believe it is a major step in solving the problem. Many alternative solutions have been proposed which I believe would be more effective but the plastic bag ban shows that we realize there is problem and are we willing to make an effort in solving it. 

References

No comments:

Post a Comment